Since 2014, cooperation between Germany and Ukraine has steadily intensified. The work of Ukrainian think tanks has gained noticeably in importance since then. In order to strengthen regional think tanks and to sustain bilateral relations between Germany and Ukraine, analytical support and academic dialogue are needed.
The GURN project focuses on two areas: Capacity building promotes the expertise in policy analysis and effective scientific communication. Dialogue and knowledge transfer on current socio-political developments in Ukraine deepen the exchange between experts from both countries.
The predecessor project GURN 1 took place from 2019-2020. The focus was on networking through study trips, symposia and a methods school for Ukrainian and German junior researchers. Since March 2021, the project has been continued under the title GURN 2. Established formats will be further developed and new ideas implemented.
Events and activities 2021-2022
- Ukraine Breakfast Debates: Expert talks with Ukrainian speakers in Berlin
- Germany Breakfast Debates: Expert talks with German speakers in Kyiv
- Development of an interactive toolbox for policy analysis as a guide for academic practice at think tanks
- Podcast UkraineMEMO: Information on think tanks and policy advice as well as on current developments in Ukrainian politics and society
- Policy Paper on German-Ukrainian relations
Information on current events and calls for proposals can be found on the project website: https://gurnnetwork.org/de.
For more information, follow us on Twitter and Facebook at: #GURN #CivilSocietyCooperation #ThinkTanks
GURN is funded by the Federal Foreign Office.