The "Handbook on Germany's European Policy" was published in a second completely revised edition at the end of 2020 on the occasion of Germany's EU Council Presidency.
The new edition of the anthology takes the latest developments in Germany's European policy and its influence on European integration and decision-making processes into account. In doing so, the renowned authors offer a broad and analytical approach to the foundations and concepts of German European policy, domestic political determinants, and selected internal and external EU policy areas. An important innovation results from a change in perspective, which also reflects the view of selected partner states on German European policy. The new edition is also supplemented by a concluding theoretical perspective on German European policy.
Overall, it becomes clear that European policy is of particular value and benefit to both Germany's political and economic reality. At the same time, Germany holds an influential position in shaping European integration and in EU decision-making processes. The handbook is thus a reliable companion for all those who deal with German European policy in academic, political and practical terms.
The new edition of the "Handbook on Germany's European Policy" includes:
- A foreword by Michael Roth, MdB and Minister of State for Europe,
- An introduction by the editors on the basic lines of German European policy,
- Fundamentals and concepts of German European policy,
- Domestic determinants and actors of German European policy,
- Germany's role in EU-internal policy areas such as migration and asylum, economic and monetary union, budget and finance, redistributive policies, social policy as well as energy and climate policy etc.,
- Germany's role in EU-external policies such as trade relations, foreign , security and defense policy, EU enlargement and European Neighborhood Policy, etc.,
- German European policy: perceptions in selected partner states,
- Theoretical approaches to German European Policy,
- A comprehensive chronicle of German European policy from 1946 to the present.
With contributions by:
Gabriele Abels, Peter Becker, Timm Beichelt, Katrin Böttger, Simon Bulmer, Isabelle Buscke, Christian Calliess, Agnieszka Cianciara, Claire Demesmay, Gabriele D'Ottavio, Christian Dreger, Katharina Gnath, Daniel Göler, Martin Große Hüttmann, Lucas Guttenberg, Ines Hartwig, Sven Hölscheidt, Rudolf Hrbek, Helge Jörgens, Mathias Jopp, Annette Jünemann, Henning Klodt, Wilhelm Knelangen, Barbara Lippert, Heiner von Lüpke, Andreas Maurer, Stormy-Annika Mildner, Gisela Müller-Brandeck-Bocquet, Oskar Niedermayer, Hans-Wolfgang Platzer, Nils Redeker, René Repasi, Michael Roth, Barbara Saerbeck, Frank Schimmelfennig, Roland Sturm, Funda Tekin, Johanna Wietschel, and Thomas von Winter.
Edited by Dr. Katrin Böttger and Prof. Dr. Mathias Jopp
2020, approx. 700 p., hardcover, 68 EUR
Publication date: December 2020
The "Handbook on German European Policy" is sponsored by the German Federal Foreign Office. The IEP is solely responsible for the contents.